- 1.5 pounds peeled shallots
- 1 pint Proprietary Red Wine
- 1 pint Round Pond Cabernet-Merlot vinegar
- 1 pint granulated sugar
- To prepare the shallot jam start by peeling shallots. You can either dice them by hand or cut them into pieces.
- Place them in a food processor and pulse until you have reached a finely minced texture of the shallot.
- In a large saute pan or pot place on the stove and turn on medium-high heat. Add a neutral cooking oil to the pan and then add your minced shallots. Sweat the shallots until they turn translucent, you do not want color on the shallots.
- Then add your mix of wine, vinegar, and sugar to the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the mixture down for approximately 30-45 minutes until you have reached a jam-like consistency. If you over-reduce it you can always add a little water later to improve the texture.
- You can allow to cool and use as is or you can place the mixture in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- The jam can be stored in refrigeration for months and is a great condiment to be used with cheeses and steaks.